Carmona is an industrial community that prides itself as the only town in the Philippines that gives its local citizenry a chance to till communal agricultural lands for three years free of any financial liabilities thru their “Sorteo ng Bukid”, a method of raffling off communal agricultural lands to any qualified son and/or daughter of the town every three years. It’s a tradition that became a cultural event due to the fiesta-like atmosphere whenever it is held. This serves as catalysts for the town to be a tourist attraction due to the uniqueness of its nature. It highlights the town’s tradition of promoting agricultural advancement long before agrarian reform was introduced. An activity about giving opportunity for anyone to own a farm and produce farm products for theirs and the town’s benefit. Carmona is also a pool of cultural wealth with their number of Marching Bands and the people’s inclination to performing arts. Also a fun-loving people, competitions of all sorts have been included in the Sorteo ng Bukid Festival. Save for the existing tourist destinations in the town which are all sporting in nature, the people alone is the main tourist attraction of Carmona. Enough for anyone to get curious and discover what the town is all about. A lot of people outside have yet to hear about the town and much have to be done on the part of the LGU for them not to miss the opportunity to see and feel the adventures and thrill of Carmona.
Carmona was just a part of the big town of Silang. This is not surprising because in the early part of the Spanish regime Silang included what today are known as the municipalities of Indang: San Francisco de Malabon (now General Trias), and Maragondon. Moreover, Alfonso, Amadeo, and Mendez were mere sitios of Indang; Sta. Cruz de Malabon (now Tanza) was a part of San Francisco de Malabon or Malabon Grande; and Magallanes and Ternate were barrios of Maragondon. Furthermore, Maragondon itself had been a part of the Corregimiento of Mariveles on the opposite side of Manila Bay. According to research conducted in 1982, by Sangguniang Bayan members Ernesto Zamora, Salvador P. Manahan, Pio Purificacion, Narciso Levardo, and Romy Laurito, assisted by Municipal Secretary Rogelio D. Paular, it was found out that the history of Carmona began during the 15th century. As related by a reliable informant, three brothers coming from the mountain of Silang were said to be the first settlers in the place which was then called “Latag”, a Tagalog word for “plain” due to the numerous hills and plains in the area. The settlement was not known to other residents of Silang until some of them also went down to the place, cleared some forest areas and established their residence. In 1595, Silang became a town and Latag was annexed as a part since then. Latag gradually developed into a community whose residents struggled hard to make it a town. Their burning desires were filled with hopes and fulfillment in 1856 when their move for the conversion of Latag into a town was spearheaded by a leader named Tiburcio Purificacion. Finally, by virtue of a decree issued on February 20, 1857 by the King of Spain through Governor General Fernando de Norzagaray, Latag became a separate municipality with the name it bears today: Carmona, named after the town of Carmona in the province of Seville, Spain. Yet until now, it had not been known where the name originated. During the Philippine Revolution in 1896, the gobernadorcillo of Carmona was Kapitan Damian Ermitano after the administrations of Tiburcio Purificacion, Mariano Mapanoo and Donald C. Virtucio, Augusto Manaog and Fabian Tenedero. After the revolution and the occupation of the country by the Americans in 1901, the first local executive of Carmona was Martin Reyes who was followed next by Marcelo Reyes, Prudencio Torres, Juan Alumia, Estanislao Paular, Marciano Mapanoo, and Juan Zamora. The mayors who assumed office after World War II were the following honorable men: Bernardo Hebron, Eulalio Reyes and Cesar Casal and Felino L. Maquinay. In 1959, the district of San Gabriel and San Jose of Barangay Kabilang Baybay was purchased by the National Government for the relocation of squatters from Metro Manila. On March 14, 1981, the relocation site, which teemed with people from almost every part of the country and was more popularly known as the resettlement area, became an independent municipality called General Mariano Alvarez.
Carmona is located on the Southeastern part of the province of Cavite. Approximately 36 kilometers South of Manila and 38 kilometers from Trece Martires City, Cavite’s Provincial Capital. It is bounded on the North, East and South by the Municipality of Biñan, Laguna; General Mariano Alvarez (GMA) on the Northwest and Silang on the Southwest. The geographic coordinates of Carmona is about 14.32° latitude and 121.06° longtitude.
Industry / Manufacturing, Services
Manila Southwoods Golf and Country Club
Manila Jockey Club
Carmona Racing Circuit
Carmona Baseball Academy